I’ve been knitting up some little bits to sell at our upcoming CWA fundraiser. I’ve rummaged through my stash and discovered I’m particularly bad at keeping the ball bands so I have a stack of weird scraps – mostly bought during my trial and error period for my wedding bouquet – that I have no idea what they are made from.
I’ve knitted up some cheap presumably nylon acrylic blend into this stripy hat (Did you know there’s no ‘e’ in stripy? I didn’t.) and another incarnation of my favourite puerperium cardigan.
Pattern: Hat (they got wildly creative with pattern names in the 70s)
Source: Page 5 of Patons Book 518 Baby Yarn 3 & 4ply – I got a copy from my mum but you can find it online here.
Yarn: 4ply acrylic (?) stash scraps
Needles: 2.75mm & 3.25mm. I knit on circulars as I didn’t have small enough straight needles, but the pattern is not knit in the round.
This was a nice easy knit and is actually a very cute little hat. The main challenge is sewing up and getting the stripes to line up with each other. I make up my knitting using mattress stitch and if not done perfectly it can end up off set a little which with stripes looks rubbish.
In searching through my stash, I also discovered things I knitted and never gifted – like these booties – so have tarted them up with some ribbons and labels and they look fresh as a daisy.
Pattern: Two-tone ‘Bovva’ Booties
Source: The second little Sublime hand knit book
Price: I bought this book so long ago… I have no idea. It’s $35 here.
Yarn: Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Slik DK
I did these ages ago and they are far from perfect. The thing that got me with the Sublime bootie patterns is that I found it hard to work out the front and back of the foot when it came to sewing in the sole. I think I actually managed to do one the opposite way to the other in this particular pair – – which may be why they are still in my stash. Hopefully, someone likes them enough to exchange them for a donation to the Balhannah Centre.